Tuesday, May 6, 2014

Old and New for Mother's Day

This time of year we have a mix of products, old stamp sets and colors that are retiring while new stamp sets and in-colors are being introduced.  This makes for a short window of time where I can combine old and new on a project!


This card uses the sentiment from this month's My Paper Pumpkin kit, the leaves from the retiring Papaya Collage stamp set, DSP from the Occasions Catalog and the brand new Blended Bloom flower.


The Blended Bloom flower was colored in using the new Stampin' Up! Blendabilities markers.  Aren't the colors so vibrant?  Blendabilities are their new alcohol markers and are really great to use.  I used the Daffodil Delight Assortment for the flower petals, starting from dark to light.  I used the Color Lifter pen to take some color  away to accentuate the highlights.  The center is done with the Skin Tone Assortment markers.  So much fun to play with!

Sunday, May 4, 2014

Metal Garden Stakes

This project is something that was presented at a regional seminar a few years back and I've always wanted to try it.  And maybe even do a class on it!

It was my best stamping friend's birthday last month, so what better reason than to make some for her to enjoy and put in her garden and show her stamping customers.  I brought out the metal flashing, 14 gauge galvanized wire and aviator snips to my stamping studio.  These are all items that you can get at your local hardware store/big box retail hardware store.


The first thing I had to do was add a splash of color to the metal.  I could have used copper flashing, but it's very expensive compared to the aluminum flashing.  After cutting my roll of flashing into smaller, manageable pieces, I took some outside and used Rustoleum Spray Paint for Metal and gave it some time to dry (overnight worked best).


When it was ready, I used the Beautiful Butterflies Bigz die to cut out the butterfly shape.  Then I ran the butterfly shape through the Big Shot again using the Perfect Polka Dots Textured Embossing Folder to get the raised dots.  I lightly sanded the top of the butterfly in order to get the aluminum to show up just in the raised dot areas.


You can use lots of different Bigz dies, embossing folders and even some Framelits worked to cut the flashing.  Lots of fun to experiment!

I was thinking I might do a class as this would be good for adults and kids alike.  Would you take this class?

Saturday, May 3, 2014

New Catalog Set - Work of Art

Got my hands on the new Stampin' Up! catalog and at the premiere we also received a new stamp set from it called Work Of Art.  I really like this trend of watercolor.  The set has lots of different swooshes in many sizes.


The final card ended up being notecard size since I liked the proportions the best with the images I finally decided on.  Colors used:  Pistacchio Pudding, Calypso Coral and Coastal Cabana.  The flower image from Flowering Flourishes is stamped in Whisper White craft ink and embossed with white embossing powder.

Typically I don't spend too much time at once getting to the end result.  I will do some designing and if I'm not happy with it, I walk away and come back at another time when I think I may have a better solution to it. With this card it took a couple of times to get the right image and proportions.  I started out with a typical A2 size card and bigger swooshes, but I wasn't happy with any of the flower image sizes and boldness.  Here is a shot of some of the samples that didn't work:


Can't wait to get my hands on some more new products from the catalog!